Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 12, 2011, 18:14
This topic has come up before, I'm still a bit perversely proud of the stink I caused in 2004 by reviewing an ELP album (still one of the top 5 stickiest threads in the history of the forum) -- though the truth is I have hardly written anything since then:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/19427/#212

I also favorably reviewed the debut album by BOSTON!

On the theory that these albums may be "unhip" but have something special about them.

I tend to think the definition of "unsung" should be left to the discretion of the author (except if it's an obvious commercial plug/spam in which case instant deletion is in order; though if the Unsungness of your review is questionable you might want to make the case for Unsungness in the review itself.)

I was not aware that anything had actually been "editorially deleted" from the archive though. Not sure I like that (and what's with all the Spanish reviews lately? Isn't there a website somewhere in the Spanish-speaking world that could host those?)

Similarly, if you're going to review new albums they should be "under the radar" (not written up in every music media outlet) and you should wait until you've had a few months' worth of listenings before you write it up.

Not that I am volunteering to play review-cop! If anything, I'd err on the side of allowing "junk reviews" to be published in order to keep the "fans write the reviews" angle going. It's easy to ignore reviews you're not interested in (just "change the channel" you know?)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index