Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 12, 2011, 16:28
I don't really have sour grapes, but was amused that both a review of 'early' by Scritti Politti and 'Dazzle Ships' pre-reissue/reevaluation were deleted within a day or so of me posting them...& there were some folk on these here boards whining about the inclusion of PSB, Soft Cell and Suede (who were out of vogue when I wrote both DMS reviews).

Not really into scenes and I have that Salem LP that was well received and it just sounds like those Aphex Twin remixes of Slowdive; I was never convinced by Dubstep either. Perhaps it was the tedious way Simon Reynolds jumped on various scenes, genres etc. But the point is...King Night by Salem isn't Unsung. It's not deleted, it's well reviewed and covered by WH-train jumping sorts on the Guardian.

The Earth album out on Monday can't be Unsung with four and five star reviews - or is it Unsung as it's not yet out? There's no sense of discovery here - I'm hardly going to get a revelation from something like Animal Collective or TNP that have been raved over at all quarters. Neither have those bands yet gone out of vogue (yet). I'm just not sure what's to be gained by giving an Unsung review to something critically creamed over. Perhaps I should write one on 'Funeral' by Arcade Fire, 'Daydream Nation' by Sonic Youth or 'Screamadelica' by Primal Scream? An Unsung review about an album that we've already been told was great seems odd...or pointless

The mass of lists/list-based books since 1999 of the greatest albums comes to mind. I bet pretty much every one of those has 'Forever Changes' by Love in - not remotely Unsung (though I'm sure a less celebrated Love LP would count). What next - 'Revolver' as Unsung?

I probably wouldn't have a problem with Girls Aloud being written about since they aren't in vogue and if another angle can be argued that would count. Though they did start to get a few good reviews from album # 3 and # 4 onwards. 'Chemistry' is probably the one - though I do like to point out 'Tangled Up' is the best electronic-pop LP since 'Violator'...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index