Register
Unsung Forum »
Dubious selections for Unsung albums...

76 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2011, 00:44
Re: Dubious selections for Unsung albums...
Feb 13, 2011, 00:42
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I've been browsing Unsung as I feel compelled to do a few Unsung reviews some time soon and am slightly baffled at the selections appearing...how the fuck is 'Forever Changes' by Love Unsung? The first Grinderman LP (does Cave ever get bad reviews?). The first Roxy Music LP. 'Merriweather...' by Animal Collective was raved over in 2009 and topped most polls...not Unsung then. 'A Love Supreme' - the kind of an LP a yuppie character in 'This Life' raved over in the 90's Unsung? 'Y' by The Pop Group...Unsung. Really?

I think some deletions of these titles should occur; though am amused that an OMD review stayed when my OMD review of Dazzle Ships got deleted several years ago. & the grief I got for a Pet Shop Boys review...when there's one there now. Odd.

I love Unsung reviews, but some of the selections don't fit the bill...

I totally agree that there are many reviews on Unsung which tell us what we already know, although I addressed this issue at the start of my review of The Beach Boys' 'Sunflower', which I admit has pretty much already been given its due in recent years. But sometimes enthusiasm overtakes you and you just have to write your thoughts down and get them out there. Maybe there needs to be a 'Sung' page as well, although such a thing doesn't really fit Julian's philosophy.

As the writer of the recent OMD and PSB reviews, I was shocked to learn that your own efforts had been deleted. I thought that this section was supposed to be totally free of editorial control, and as both these acts receive a 50/50 mix of respect and disdain with in the more rockist circles (I remember the postbag John Peel got when he had the PSBs in for a session), I felt it totally valid to make a case for such artists being a lot more interesting than may be apparent on the surface.

Now that 'Dazzle Ships' has quite rightly been re-evaluated there wouldn't be much point re-posting your review, but I'd be curious to know what your PSB choice was.

A couple more points: I used to enjoy reading U Are A Ghost's reviews when he wrote them in English. Why the recent switch to Spanish?

And I know I'm being a bit anal here, but doesn't it spoil the look of the page when you get a whole load of reviews without cover pictures? Isn't the cover all part of what we love about our favourite records?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index