Topic View: Flat | Threaded
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 23:26
Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 22, 2010, 23:25
Dog 3000 wrote:

As always seems to be the case, certain labels lead the way: NOT NOT FUN is the big one today in my mind. Sun Araw, Magic Lantern, Pocahaunted, High Wolf, Ducktails, Wet Hair, Peaking Lights, and lots more.

Lots of other indie labels, some of them tiny, often still putting out CASSETTES: Cabin Floor Esoterica, Night People, Earjerk, Bum Tapes, Woodsist, Siltbreeze.

The Drone Scene (the ambient end of power electronics?): Emeralds, Expo '70, Drunjus, Natural Snow Buildings.

Dog, you're dead right when you say some of the best stuff is coming out on cassette labels these days. I have to add Housecraft, Rotifer, Stunned & Digitalis to your list. Those four labels are responsible for some of the absolute best stuff around, imo.

Away from labels, and onto artists, allow me to direct you to a thread I recently started about a project called TULUUM SHIMMERING. The perfect example of the new age/no age/hypagogic pop/psychedelic ambient drone/cassette labels/homemade/diy/field-recordings/post-modern melange of all sorts of sounds/ etc etc shit that's zeitgeisting all over the place at the moment, imo. (http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/59671/#2)

Another group I'd think you'd dig are the Italian 'Jooklo' collective, who operate under various names: Neokarma Jooklo Experience, Jooklo Duo, Golden Jooklo Age. Another fine example of a big melting pot of influences. Free jazz, spacey/psychedelic rock, ethnic music, etc. If you're looking for a way in, I'd recommend a record called "Time's Vibes", by the Neokarma Jooklo Trio.

*this post was made off the back of three of these,http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/35625 , so apologies if it's a little incoherent.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index