IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2010, 10:51
Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 25, 2010, 10:50
Popel Vooje wrote:
IanB wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Some of the more extreme Japanese improvisers like Keiji Haino and Musioca Transonic still haven't been assimilated into the mainstream, and given the nature of their music I doubt they ever will be.

Per my reply immediately above I expected the Zorn related artists to get much more of a mention. Maybe that makes them even more the outsiders!

Ah, I see now - I missed that post due to skim-reading the thread on my lunchbreak, but I agree - Mr Haino's work still seems to confound and irritate most people I know, even those who are musicians. One of my ex-bandmates still refuses to believe that his entire career is anything other than an elaborate joke. Having said that, I think there is humour in his work - I can't imagine that a man who refuses to take off his sunglasses even in front of his cat, or writes pieces with titles like "Once Again I Cast Myself Into the Flames of Atonement" takes himself entirely seriously.

Mea culpa. Your post predeced mine, I was just too bone idle to make the same point twice!

I think Haino gets the serious-silly thing inherent in experimental music and in rock n roll. He also seems to have that ability that a lot improvisers have of being able to make a noise / record / concert and then leave it behind so he can move on to the next one. I got the same impression from the very short period of time I spent around Damo when he sang with the Dunes. He took it all deadly seriously and also with a massive pinch of salt. It matters a lot when it is happening and then when it is over it doesn't matter at all. Zorn seems to be a bit more concerned with leaving a legacy of organised moments and "proper records".
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index