IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 09:54
Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 23, 2010, 09:16
singingringingtree wrote:
IanB wrote:
I would say that Free Jazz and the 12 Tone serialists are still out on the frontiers of popular taste. Anything else in music that hasn't charmed the bourgeoisie and been used to sell some product or another?

i kida disagree on those 2 - i mean, coltrane, ayler, sun ra, ornette ... bet mojo has run pieces on them (or, in theory, it WOULD) ... cecil taylor may somehow just be a bit "other" for all this, mind

hasn't a load of film music been really in debt to serialism, for years now? but, yeah, it's pretty austere in places

but you never can tell what they'll use for an advert - did you see that one (no idea what for) that used one of those super-lo-fi Suicide 1975 demos that made it to the bonus disk on the cd reissue of their 2nd LP? mental ...

More contenders (taking up on the serialism idea + running in that general direction) = Alvin Lucier, robert ashley, david tudor (i was jamming hois "neural synthesis" the other day ... jesus christ, it sstill sounds utterly alien + WTF), etc etc

Not sure Mojo and their ilk pay anything more than lip service to what was going on in Jazz in the 60s and 70s beyond Miles and maybe Mingus.

Like all good Rock Critics they will claim a soft spot for Sun Ra but their knowledge of Trane will stop at A Love Supreme and all they will know of Pharoah Saunders is from one Acid Jazz comp or another.

Rock fan's (and writer's) tolerance for atonality is pretty slender. Unless it is Jimi showmanship or a Pete T / Keith Moon smash up. 12 Tone sounds pretty atonal to the virgin ear. And Ayler has people running screaming (apart from maybe New Grass).

I think film composers have lifted a lot of harmonic ideas from the Serialists but they don't follow through. With rare exceptions like the Henze stuff in L'Amour A Mort (or is it L'Amour Par Terre?). Which is most distrurbing. Anyway.

I think Keiji Haino who is mentioned elsewhere is a good analog for the key figures in the Free Jazz scene and follows on from Zorn / Chadbourne etc. Zorn was actually the one name I expected to see writ large in this thread and Purple Trap. Stuff like that where the concessions to Rock are minimal but the instrumentation is more R&R than Jazz even if the rhythm sections are doing a Blackwell / Higgins / Haden kind of a thing. Bits of Purple Trap really remind me of Red Crayola.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index