Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 23, 2010, 08:25
singingringingtree wrote:
IanB wrote:
I would say that Free Jazz and the 12 Tone serialists are still out on the frontiers of popular taste. Anything else in music that hasn't charmed the bourgeoisie and been used to sell some product or another?

i kida disagree on those 2 - i mean, coltrane, ayler, sun ra, ornette ... bet mojo has run pieces on them (or, in theory, it WOULD) ... cecil taylor may somehow just be a bit "other" for all this, mind

More contenders (taking up on the serialism idea + running in that general direction) = Alvin Lucier, robert ashley, david tudor (i was jamming hois "neural synthesis" the other day ... jesus christ, it sstill sounds utterly alien + WTF), etc etc

Alvin Lucier, interesting. "I Am Sitting In A Room" takes some of Reich's earliest ideas ("It's Gonna Rain", etc) to a logical extreme. I agree with Ian though, I don't think Mojo etc have ever really paid more than lip service. I don't recall them doing anything about any of the minimalists. Even someone like Harold Budd is probably too un-rock for a Mojo piece(although again, hardly revolutionary either).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index