4611 posts

Edited Sep 23, 2010, 01:54
Re: Listing the New Names
Sep 23, 2010, 01:51
Some more faves on a similar vibe I forgot to mention earlier:

Psychedelic Horseshit
Blues Control
Wand (used to call himself Wooden Wand)
Jex Thoth/Sabbath Assembly (same singer, different bands)
Cloudland Canyon

Somehow Wooden Shjips seems too old school and rockist to fit in with the New Thing, but spinoff Moon Duo does.

The hiphop connection: do weirdies like Gonjasufi, Flying Lotus and Georgia Ann Muldrow fit in (labels like Warp and Stones Throw)? In some ways hiphop's "vinyl sampling culture" prefigures the current "everything into the pot" all-styles-are-valid/non-style approach.

A lot of those undergroundy groups from earlier in the decade also seem sorta like trailblazers: SunO))), Sunburned Hand of the Man, Six Organs of Admittance, maybe even Om (losing the guitar and getting into chanty meditative music -- Sleep goes new age!)

Other forerunners could include misfits of years past like Califone and Black Dice? How about "The Heads (UK)"? (Or am I just starting to imagine connections now!)

Getting personal on the HH community next!

Black Tempest (since giving up metal for synths, haha!) and 5-Track definitely fit in with the New Thing.

Lunar Dunes and Solus 3 not so much (too muso, too prog, too funky), but at the same time sorta YES in that they don't fit in anywhere else and that's precisely what makes them fit in here. Where else do you put a jamming band whose the lead instrument is a harp and they self release their own music?

Earthling Society -- for me seems more like a singular and distinctly British rock band led by A Guy Who Has Something To Say. Much like Cornershop, they have somewhat of a "60's-70's vibe" but are living in the here & now. Going their own way apart from any trend?

Unio & Petitio -- I believe the term is "barmy"! All the current UK music I listen to is pretty much weird underground acts like this -- I got no time for your boring-ass Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand or Radiohead. I think the only three "famous name" UK groups I've given much time to in the last 20 years are Stereolab, Cornershop & The Fall.

Julian Cope -- The man who brought Krautrock back into style. Purveyor of weirdy folk a decade before there was "wyrd folk". A droner and a stoner and an all-night boner. He actually has a lot to answer for these days!! ;-)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index