Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 22, 2010, 20:40
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

I have to say that this sounds horrible, largely. If today's revolution is to reduce everything that's ever been recorded into a single melange, I'm not sure I want any truck with it, sadly.

but that what makes it good, it's not a single melange, you can throw in a pop chorus to your thrash song and no one screams sellout, throw a freejazz insert into your ambientnoodle and it sounds brilliant, no one wants to be a punkrocker anymore, a metalhead or a poptart,it may not be as much fun in one way, and it also encourages a revolting holier than thou hipster elite, but if it gives you

to quote Dog3000

As always seems to be the case, certain labels lead the way: NOT NOT FUN is the big one today in my mind. Sun Araw, Magic Lantern, Pocahaunted, High Wolf, Ducktails, Wet Hair, Peaking Lights, and lots more.

Lots of other indie labels, some of them tiny, often still putting out CASSETTES: Cabin Floor Esoterica, Night People, Earjerk, Bum Tapes, Woodsist, Siltbreeze.

The Drone Scene (the ambient end of power electronics?): Emeralds, Expo '70, Drunjus, Natural Snow Buildings.

The Noise/PE scene (it's still called "noise" where I'm from): a million angry kids blowing heads off with electronic gear in every city! Would I be wrong to say Wolf Eyes is the most mainstream artist representing this world?

"Commune bands": Sylvester Anfang II, Gnod, Second Family Band (formerly Davenport) -- probably one of these in every city.

Neo-outsider folk: this might have peaked earlier in the last decade (Devendra Whatsisname?), but it's still a big phenomenon. All those individuals & duos that draw inspiration from non-rock sources like Incredible String Band (UK) and John Fahey (USA).

MV & EE seem to work the space in between "neo-folk" and "commune style" (a commune of 2?)

The Great Pop Crossover Hope: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti has grown from a guy with a 4-track into a real band and signed to the 4AD label.

who am I to argue

Thanks Elf, you are making it sound less unappealing. The proof, as ever, is in the listening, so perhaps some kind of Mojo-esque recordings list, as Ian originally mentioned, is required?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index