Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 20:41
Listing the New Names
Sep 22, 2010, 20:38
machineryelf wrote:
Rock is very much alive but instead of some great hairy beasts galumphing across the plains trumpeting loudly and crushing all underfoot it's now populated by a host of small dashing and mobile in mind and style freaks.

See, but I wouldn't call this "rock" music! Anymore than "rock is just blues music." New movements are inspired by previous ones, but aren't the same.

Let's try brainstorming a list of artists from the New Scene -- maybe we can sort it out?

As always seems to be the case, certain labels lead the way: NOT NOT FUN is the big one today in my mind. Sun Araw, Magic Lantern, Pocahaunted, High Wolf, Ducktails, Wet Hair, Peaking Lights, and lots more.

Lots of other indie labels, some of them tiny, often still putting out CASSETTES: Cabin Floor Esoterica, Night People, Earjerk, Bum Tapes, Woodsist, Siltbreeze.

The Drone Scene (the ambient end of power electronics?): Emeralds, Expo '70, Drunjus, Natural Snow Buildings.

The Noise/PE scene (it's still called "noise" where I'm from): a million angry kids blowing heads off with electronic gear in every city! Would I be wrong to say Wolf Eyes is the most mainstream artist representing this world?

"Commune bands": Sylvester Anfang II, Gnod, Second Family Band (formerly Davenport) -- probably one of these in every city.

Neo-outsider folk: this might have peaked earlier in the last decade (Devendra Whatsisname?), but it's still a big phenomenon. All those individuals & duos that draw inspiration from non-rock sources like Incredible String Band (UK) and John Fahey (USA).

MV & EE seem to work the space in between "neo-folk" and "commune style" (a commune of 2?)

The Great Pop Crossover Hope: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti has grown from a guy with a 4-track into a real band and signed to the 4AD label.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index