Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 22, 2010, 15:56
IanB wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Large amounts of pioneering electronic/futurist music has still never been used to sell cars or perfume, to my knowledge. I'm thinking Russoli, Marinetti, Schaeffer, Xenakis, Varese, even Stockhausen. All of these were revolutionary, every bit as much as Stravinsky was.

I'm not sure the Residents' music will ever be fully embraced by the mainstream.

That's pretty much what I was thinking i.e. that maybe pop / rock music has no cultural teeth any more and ironically it is the largely cosseted (these days) world of Art Music is where all the true revolutionary outsider music resides. I might be wrong which is why I asked the question. Would be an interesting list, though not one Mojo would be publishing!

The saddest thing about my first para is that all this was taking place well over half a century ago! Even the Residents prime period was over 30 years ago.

Maybe my difficulty is that I don't really like much of the "dangerous" or "revolutionary" music of the last decade, e.g. grime, dubstep, etc. I buy plenty of new music, but I wouldn't say it could be classed as in any way revolutionary. The Wire CDs always impress me (the magazine, rather than the equally excellent group), perhaps they still showcase the periphery?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index