Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 22, 2010, 18:30
Re: Revolutions are celebrated when they are no longer dangerous
Sep 22, 2010, 18:29
IanB wrote:

That's pretty much what I was thinking i.e. that maybe pop / rock music has no cultural teeth any more . . .

I've been saying this for awhile.

"Rock" and "pop" is not even slightly dangerous, rebellious or revolutionary these days and hasn't been for at least 15-20 years or so. (Nirvana's "Nevermind" was the final nail in the coffin, not a rebirth.) They (Jann Wenner and the commisars at Rolling Stone magazine) even built a museum for it -- 'nuff said.

"Jazz" went into the museum back in the 1970's and has not evolved since.

Sadly, even "Rap" seems to have burned itself out at a relatively young age. Born 1979, killed by the same forces that ruined rock/pop in the mid-1990's (I blame Snoop Dogg's solo debut.)

But I am not a pessimist.

I think there is some new post-modern melange of styles that is developing in the self-released and often lo-fi end of the swamp. I feel new music of late 2008-present is at least as good as anything since the 1980's (an underappreciated golden age.) But the new movement has NO NAME YET, and that is a good thing -- enjoy it while it lasts.

Corrolary of your subject line: when revolutions are actually happening, no one knows what the hell is going on. Once a label catches on in the popular consciousness, that is a sure sign that the revolution is over. If it can be contained in a label (or museum), it's no longer living.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index