a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Soundtracks of our lives (er) 16/11/03
Nov 16, 2003, 18:43
Eh whassit been this week...
mostly, nay, exclusively japanese

Miminokoto 2
This lot are quite interesting and I rather liked their first cd. This one's less memorable (so far) and a bit formulaic it seems. rather better is:

Miminokoto - Live
which has a lot more edge to it, quite dark in places.

Onna Kimodo - Syuuka (misspelt) - this is one of the loveliest albums i've heard in ages - dreamy classical sounding in places, delicate japanese-girl vocals, sparse mood music which is blissful to spin in the dark on headphones. wonderful.

The Doodles - 1 cd This is also good, better than i was expecting from their selections on Night Gallery. 6 trax, 3 live 3 studio all slightly discordant/off key vocals and gentle backing - reminded me of Mady Gula Blue Heaven in places. Homemade cd-r.

Overhang Party - 4 What a good album. Only the last track which sounds as if it's taking a really slow build up to a wonderful deafening crescendo....that never comes puts me off a bit. They know their business this lot.

Tokyo Flashback - Vols 2-4. Many of the trax on these rather good cds are form jap bands that have subsequently made it bigger - though some have sunk without trace. I still can't get into much of Haino/Fushitsusha stuff, though they always get marks for trying. But choice cuts from Shizuka/Overhang Party/Ghost etc etc
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index