Soundtracks of our lives (er) 16/11/03

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Soundtracks of our lives (er) 16/11/03
Nov 16, 2003, 16:23
Well no-one's done one yet so I will...

The (Young) Rascals: Once Upon A Dream -- only liked side one, "It's Wonderful" especially since it reminds me of reggae dub... Actually Gene Cornish is friends with my cousin Jim Celinski, who himself had been in several local bands in my town since the 60s. Cornish managed Celinski's first band and also wrote a song for their lone 45 record -- according to my friend and local eccentric/60s rock buff Del Rivers.

Joe Jackson: Night And Day -- I know this is often regarded as Jackson's sell-out MOR album, but still has plenty of his scathing social commentary on tracks like "TV Age" and "Cancer". And I still think back to how I came to terms with my sexuality when I hear "Real Men".

Antietam: Eaten Up By Hate 12" -- Recent find. Sounds better than most of the 'college rock' I remember. Reminds me of Rochester favorites Absolute Grey.

Velvet Underground: "Stephanie Says" -- one of my favorite VU tracks along with "Here Comes The Sun" and "Sunday Morning".

Blood Axis: "Electricity"

And I saw King Diamond -- not as bad a singer as many in the metal scene think -- with Obituary, the later doing an excellent and long set that went well with the crowd. Also liked that their lead guitarist is Black, and he could really play dude!
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: Soundtracks of our lives (er) 16/11/03
Nov 16, 2003, 16:45
A very mixed tracklist here.

Walk like an Egyptian - The Bangles
Sail Away - David Gray. I had this song on my mind for days, without knowing what it was or who it was by. A lyric search for the fragment that was looping in my brain soon sorted that, and it was easy to find on fileshare.
AC Marias - CD that Gnomon sent me months ago. Can't remember the title off the top of my head, but lovely anyway.
A selection of Wedding Present songs, Kennedy, Octopussy, the Seamonsters album. Lost your love of life? Too much appple pie? Great stuff!
About 6 different versions of "Take the skinheads bowling" including an entertaining reggae version by SKandalous Alll Stars
Also tracked down some Pink Floyd this week. "Corporal Clegg" got an airing, as did a rare fore-runner to "Dogs" called "You've got to be crazy".
INXS - Mystify me. Mmm. Lovely song.
A friend was trying to find some stuff by a guy called Gary Farr. I found one song, "In the mud" - kinda bluesy folky garage psychedelia.

Oh,and finally, the Bonzo's... Hunting Tigers in Indiah, Hello Mabel, Big Shot and Jollity farm.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Correction
Nov 16, 2003, 16:46
"Who Loves the Sun". Sometimes I wonder if my head's screwed on tight enough...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 16:48
I really hated it when AC Marias went disco. Or was it He Said? I forget...
Beebon
1375 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 16:49
Good afternoon!

Past couple of weeks have consisted of:

The Sons of TC Lethbridge - A Giant: Aye! Tis very good indeedy..

Toadliquor - Hortator's Lament: Woah! what a huge sluggish nasty noise this lot made, been in a bit of a Doomy mood lately so this sounds dam good to me.

Boris - Amplifier Worship: Mmm... burnt to CD-R so has been played on me walkman must lunch break this week... a horribley morish trudge trip

Sunburned Hand of the Man - Headdress: Arrr, this be good, fits well together and keeps you grooving all the way through.

Sunburned Hand of the Man - Jaybird: Keeps getting better to my ears, very groovesome again and the title track is pure funkishness gold.

Vibracathedral Orchestra - Hex Hostess: Meditational drone stuff, still really digging it.

Television - Marquee Moon: Another that i'm still really into since my recent re-evaluation.

Loadsa Drum & Bass: Me mate filled a CD with mp3s of loads of different stuff... mostlyhour long sets which have got me up and moving in me room... particularly liked the Soundmuderer long raga set....

Earth - Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars Live: Another download and been getting into it, not the best thing i've heard but haven't let it sink in much yet... just purchased "Earth 2" which should be arriving in the post at some point in the week :)

Sunn 0))) - 00 Void
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra: Started listening to it again, infinately mysterious ambience of the old variety, love the huge mellotron sound.

Fink that's about all!

Steve :)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Correction
Nov 16, 2003, 17:14
And one of the bands I saw was Entombed, not Obituary. Tend to get the two bands mixed up... I'm no death/black metal expert, at any rate!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 17:24
Afternoon Earthlets.
M'sounds have been...

Brain Donor - Too Freud To Rock N Roll Too Jung to Die. Post 'Rome' earbashing for my fave odinist glamgaragemetal combo.

1200micrograms - 1200Mics. Concept trance; a sonic paen to naughty head things

Starcastle - Citadel. Yes I know it's bad for me but I just totally love this blatant yank Yes ripoff. Uber prog fromage with bells on. Celestial bollocks!

Cosmosis - Intergalatic. Excellent psytrance with one track in particular that really goes ptoiiiing in yer ears. Niice

Zebulon - Vol 1. Not astoundingly orginal but rockn Swedish stoner flavoured metal. B'sides, there is something hugely endearing about a bald, bearded, juggernaut of a Swedish rock beast growling "I am nothing but a whore" overdramatically. YAY!

KISS - Dynasty. Face painted pre-bling titans dabble with disco and its fuckn great! Also worth it to hear Ace drawl his way through The Stones' 2000 Man. Great sleeve too, which is important in KISSland.

Groundhogs - Split . Conceptual blues prog opus from band I have only heard thanks to the good people on HH. Great guitar stuff on this! See - Unsung does work! YAY again!

Amused By Genitals - Boiling Small Dogs In Hot Cars Is Funnier Than You Think!

Venom - In League With Satan (2cd Comp). The fine line between genius and stupid not so much crossed as ram raided with a bottle of Newky Brown as an aperitif.

Omni Trio - Shadows & Angels Project. 20min continuous mix of electro and techy flavoured drum n bass.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame. My mate really dug this I was pleased to say.

Bert Jansch - legend: The Classic Recordings. One of my fave el cheapo buys of recent times. Superlative folk n blues tinged wonderment from guitarists who's who admire style dude. Totally lovely. Compliments me Pentangle comp very well.

Think thats mostly it! Have a nice week you lovely people!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 18:00
Cocteau Twins - Garlands
Despite the fact they don't like it themselves, this sounds strangely fresh to me these days. Maybe it's the fact the drum machine makes it sound almost like hip-hop?

Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Was a bit underwhelmed by this when it came out, but put it on the CD walkman on the way to work with a heavy hangover one morning this week and it really clicked. Now think it's a great album.

Battiato - Pollution
Copey reviewed this guy's first album 'Fetus' quite a while back. Got that. Loved it. Bought this, as it's the follow-up and is more psychedelic, but somehow I prefer Fetus still. However Pollution is great stuff, and I thoroughly recommend it.

The White Hills
Great disc that gets repeated listening now. Rock riffage drenched in shards of psych and some sardonically delivered vocals, mutating into oozing pastorals and back again. Reminds me of Loop at points, though it's better and more expansive sonically. Only criticism is it's too short. Thanks Dave!

Autechre - Gantz Graf
Headphuck electronica. Brain needs to be switched on for this. Bloody brilliant though.

John Cage - Cheap Imitation
Cage ripping off Satie. Not bad, though nowhere near as radical almost everything else I've heard of his.

Coil - Live Four: Vienna/Prague
No mean feat managing to convincingly pull-off a live electronic album and it sounding exciting enough to make nape hair rigid. Class!

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Had a banging headache one day this week and this was the only thing I could listen to without making it worse.

Cookie Monster - C is For Cookie
12" single. Has a daft Sesame Street song by the cookie monster on it which unintentionally references disco biscuits. But the real reason I got this, and the best track on it, is the Pinball Number Count song which just slaps a big, beaming grin on my face.

Brian Eno - Curiosities (Vol.1)
Out-takes and various studio sweepings from recent years compiled. Good stuff with a touch of funkiness and large doses of absurdity. Fripp makes a small appearance too.

There's others too, but they escape my mind at the moment, and my stomach's growelling, so have to go sort that out. Ta-ta for now, funksters!
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 18:32
Death In June - Take Care & Control: Very electronic & much use of samplers for another introspective listen from Mr P. "Are you close to or far from your conscience?"

Death In June - Only the Guilty Have No Past: Copied for me by the host of this thread & unsungs favourite Misanthropist - Lawrence. Very early Joy Division sounding.

Television - Marquee Moon. I have to put my hands up & say this is one of the first times I've heard this album. Am I slow wit filling the gaps in my music knowledge?

Michael Raven - Gipsy English. Solo guitar folk instrumentals & actually a quite nice listen.

+ lots of The Legendary Pink Dots.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Nov 16, 2003, 18:43
Eh whassit been this week...
mostly, nay, exclusively japanese

Miminokoto 2
This lot are quite interesting and I rather liked their first cd. This one's less memorable (so far) and a bit formulaic it seems. rather better is:

Miminokoto - Live
which has a lot more edge to it, quite dark in places.

Onna Kimodo - Syuuka (misspelt) - this is one of the loveliest albums i've heard in ages - dreamy classical sounding in places, delicate japanese-girl vocals, sparse mood music which is blissful to spin in the dark on headphones. wonderful.

The Doodles - 1 cd This is also good, better than i was expecting from their selections on Night Gallery. 6 trax, 3 live 3 studio all slightly discordant/off key vocals and gentle backing - reminded me of Mady Gula Blue Heaven in places. Homemade cd-r.

Overhang Party - 4 What a good album. Only the last track which sounds as if it's taking a really slow build up to a wonderful deafening crescendo....that never comes puts me off a bit. They know their business this lot.

Tokyo Flashback - Vols 2-4. Many of the trax on these rather good cds are form jap bands that have subsequently made it bigger - though some have sunk without trace. I still can't get into much of Haino/Fushitsusha stuff, though they always get marks for trying. But choice cuts from Shizuka/Overhang Party/Ghost etc etc
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index