68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Soundtracks of our lives (er) 16/11/03
Nov 16, 2003, 18:00
Cocteau Twins - Garlands
Despite the fact they don't like it themselves, this sounds strangely fresh to me these days. Maybe it's the fact the drum machine makes it sound almost like hip-hop?

Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Was a bit underwhelmed by this when it came out, but put it on the CD walkman on the way to work with a heavy hangover one morning this week and it really clicked. Now think it's a great album.

Battiato - Pollution
Copey reviewed this guy's first album 'Fetus' quite a while back. Got that. Loved it. Bought this, as it's the follow-up and is more psychedelic, but somehow I prefer Fetus still. However Pollution is great stuff, and I thoroughly recommend it.

The White Hills
Great disc that gets repeated listening now. Rock riffage drenched in shards of psych and some sardonically delivered vocals, mutating into oozing pastorals and back again. Reminds me of Loop at points, though it's better and more expansive sonically. Only criticism is it's too short. Thanks Dave!

Autechre - Gantz Graf
Headphuck electronica. Brain needs to be switched on for this. Bloody brilliant though.

John Cage - Cheap Imitation
Cage ripping off Satie. Not bad, though nowhere near as radical almost everything else I've heard of his.

Coil - Live Four: Vienna/Prague
No mean feat managing to convincingly pull-off a live electronic album and it sounding exciting enough to make nape hair rigid. Class!

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
Had a banging headache one day this week and this was the only thing I could listen to without making it worse.

Cookie Monster - C is For Cookie
12" single. Has a daft Sesame Street song by the cookie monster on it which unintentionally references disco biscuits. But the real reason I got this, and the best track on it, is the Pinball Number Count song which just slaps a big, beaming grin on my face.

Brian Eno - Curiosities (Vol.1)
Out-takes and various studio sweepings from recent years compiled. Good stuff with a touch of funkiness and large doses of absurdity. Fripp makes a small appearance too.

There's others too, but they escape my mind at the moment, and my stomach's growelling, so have to go sort that out. Ta-ta for now, funksters!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index