Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: VP debates
Oct 04, 2008, 19:13
handofdave wrote:
grufty jim wrote:
I am seeking a way out of this dilemma, handofdave, I'm not proposing any specific course of action... merely mulling over the possibilities. It's just that I am convinced that business-as-usual is a guarantee of failure. In fact, it guarantees the disaster that will lead to totalitarianism.

Coming full circle, this is where the Obama vote comes in.. it's a stop-gap measure that gives a bit more time to come up with some specific courses of action. Or in other words, voting Obama is an action that gives us more wiggle room in the formulation of better actions.

No offense at all intended- but I can't help thinking of the scene in "Life of Brian" where the 'People's Front of Judea' resolve to make a resolution to save Brian from execution, ad naseum....

Sometimes you have to make some decisions and act on them in the interest of even having a chance to do the same later... In a way, your assertion that we don't have the luxury of waiting for the status quo to wake up can also be applied to the urgency of kicking the Republicans out of the executive and legislative branches... we cannot afford four more years of their being at the helm.

Indeed we have come full circle. And this will be my last post on this subject (not because of any offence taken, but because I think I've said my piece).

But when you mention the 'People's Front of Judea', I think of a different scene. Because you see, while I agree that Palin should be kept as far from power as possible, on the issues that I feel matter (Climate Change, the arms industry and resource depletion / peak oil) I can see no substantial difference between Republicans and Democrats. None at all (and I've looked).

They may have slightly different views about US healthcare, or taxation, or whatever. But on the really big stuff... it's a case of the People's Front of Judea Vs. the Judean People's Front.

So to say "we can't afford 4 more years of the Republicans"... if the democrats are planning on implementing exactly the same policies on the important issues facing the globe, then surely we can't afford 4 years of them either.

And that's my lot. Unless you suggest that Obama has a significantly different approach planned with regard to Climate Change policy, resource depletion and/or the arms industry then I'll let you have the last word. If you do suggest that though, then I may respond as I've yet to hear or read anything of the sort and I'd be willing to discuss what differences may exist in those specific policy areas.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index