Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Neolithic Settlement
Jun 05, 2013, 12:50
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tjj wrote:
EGD, your post prompted to get on with reading a book I bought a while back by Barry Cunliffe Britain Begins. In his chapter 'New People, New Ideas,4200-3000BC' he writes about Neolithic constructions. I've copied an extract below ...

The radiocarbon evidence allows us to offer a sketch of how the Neolithic package, coming from north-east France, Belgium and the Low Countries spread across Britain …

Perhaps the most striking characteristic of the early phase of settlement is the appearance of large rectangular timber-built houses or halls as they may more appropriately be called. They have been found across Britain from White Horse Stone and Yarnton near Oxford to a number of finely preserved structures in eastern Scotland. A comparable example has been excavated at Llandegai near Bangor in north Wales, while at least forty-six rectangular houses have so far been identified in Ireland. Although there is some variation in size and structural detail, all are imposing structures representing the concerted effort of the community working together to identify, cut, haul, and erect timbers. Many of the larger buildings show a marked similarity in plan, size, and internal layout, having partitioning dividing the large enclosed space into discrete areas for different functions. Clearly we are dealing with a tradition of building.

I will continue reading ...

Any info about where in terms of landscape, naturally defended areas perhaps, hill tops for example?

The "halls " are not necessarily considered to be resedential, if they did house anyone it could be a few extended families , such is their size .Sometimes associated with monuments like cursus and bank barrows .
The locations tend to be are low lying and not defensive .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index