tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Neolithic Settlement
Jun 03, 2013, 11:56
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
and feminist : (Gimbutas )goddess worship until warrior blokes took over .

Amused me to see her work reduced to that! A little dismissive. And thats to say the least. I don't believe her work was based upon a political feminism at all.

"I was not a feminist and never had any thought I would be helping feminists"
Marija Gimbuats

I would not argue wholesale for her beliefs, but I would argue for her beliefs coming from a place more elevated than that they were politically inspired rather than evidence based.

I think we should judge her on the quality of the work rather than the elevation of the source of her thinking .

Could you explain how her work was politically inspired, as that is the basis upon which you have dismissed it.

What I dimissed is her interpretation which was adopted by feminists .I never suggested her work was politically inspired ,although it may well have been .The politically inspired stuff was Childe etc as in " politically inspired rather than evidence based , marxist : (Childe ) egalitarian society , everybody poor and happy with no place for the greedy and feminist : (Gimbutas )goddess worship until warrior blokes took over . The "and feminist " distinguished it from the political .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index