Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Neolithic Settlement
Jun 02, 2013, 08:42
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
and feminist : (Gimbutas )goddess worship until warrior blokes took over .

Amused me to see her work reduced to that! A little dismissive. And thats to say the least. I don't believe her work was based upon a political feminism at all.

"I was not a feminist and never had any thought I would be helping feminists"
Marija Gimbuats

I would not argue wholesale for her beliefs, but I would argue for her beliefs coming from a place more elevated than that they were politically inspired rather than evidence based.

And to quote another; from The Golden Bough' by Gordon Frazer

"Hence the strong attraction which magic and science alike have exercised on the human mind; hence the powerful stimulus that both have given to the pursuit of knowledge. They lure the weary enquirer, the footsore seeker, on through the wilderness of disappointment in the present by their endless promises of the future: they take him up to the top of an exceeding high mountain and show him, beyond the dark clouds and rolling mists at his feet, a vision of the celestial city, far off, it may be, but radiant with unearthly splendour, bathed in the light of dreams.”

Never read Gimbutas, Graves or Frazer, perhaps I should do so, but I do know that the intelligent use of mind whether via science/fact or imagination/magic is the reason why the human race has developed so far.

If I had to answer the original question on this thread, probably would come to the conclusion that more people equal more use of food resources which in turn would lead to skirmishes and wars. Strange how we subdivided the prehistoric into three ages, stone, bronze and iron. We see hill forts as defensive, and probably rightly so but did the use of the word 'iron' dictate the warlike nature in our thinking or is aggression part of our nature?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index