92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Neolithic Settlement
Jun 04, 2013, 18:00
Littlestone wrote:
The point I’m trying to make is that your reply here that, “...the bath themselves were dedicated to Minerva ,a healing deity .” gives the impression that the baths were (primarily) dedicated to Minerva in her manifestation as a goddess of healing (perhaps you didn’t intend to give that impression). We just don't know that (healing) was the primary role that Minerva was worshiped for at Bath (though no doubt it was one of them) she might equally have been worshiped (and probably was) in one or more of her other manifestations.

The link you provide to the Roman Baths website doesn't mention healing at all, just that Minerva was a goddess of wisdom and military success - equal contenders in the dedication stakes I would say :-)

Without being present and with no historical recording of the dedication (if there ever was a single event ) we can't be sure , but most references to Sulis Minerva refer to the healing aspect of one or both as well as the dedication .Taking into account the mythology and history of the site healing has been central , one aspect is relatively convincing but both together I find compelling .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index