The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
An American viewpoint

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: An American viewpoint
Apr 13, 2013, 02:56
Well, as the only American --as far as I know-- to be a semi-regular contributor to this forum I'll respond to this post and the thread in general. With tongue firmly in wine-washed cheek, if y'all will pardon me.

The "cultural myopia" isn't. Loie and I have had several trips to our Southwest, visiting Anasazi and other Native american sites. We've also spent a bit of time in the UK, France, Italy and Turkey delving into European prehistory. I've spent way more time than I care to contemplate investigating my ancestors' Roots ( http://lovebunnies.luckypro.biz/01_stuff/05_other/rescued_papers/respap01_intro.html and follow the Continued buttons, wallow in it ). We've been to three or five "Living History" recreations here: Plimoth Plantation, Colonial Williamsburg, etc.

We've also been to plenty of local history museums in New England and up and down our historic East and West Coasts.

In fine, you folks in the UK have basically no idea what it is to live in a countryside that has a multi-thousand year and reasonably well documented continuous physical record of the development of your own inherited culture. The "cultural myopia" is yours.

Yours truly,
Bucky Edgett
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index