92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Re: An American viewpoint
Mar 30, 2013, 12:29
bladup wrote:
But that's the thing with life, the people who feel nothing in objects think the ones who can are barking and the ones who can think the ones that can't are barking, we are all brilliantly different, Have you ever held a neolithic stone axe? because i swear i've felt "things" myself.

As all matter is slowly decaying, and as that decay, however slight, could be generating 'energy', I'm not opposed to the possibility of you 'feeling' said energy. That you then extrapolate from that 'feeling' that you are feeling the energy 'put' there by the person who made, or used, the axe is a step too far for me. That this woman could feel the 'energy and life of the kings and queens that possessed those items' as the 'energy rocketed through' her is plain old bunkum.

If I had the same ability to feel whatever you believe you feel and were I to touch one of your paintings, would I feel your energy? And when you die, will I feel even more of your energy in that touch?

That you want, or desire, the sensation you feel when you hold a neolithic stone axe to have some deeper meaning is the problem. You can't prove anything, just 'feel' it and interpret it. In the same way that certain people are entitled to believe that certain individuals are God's representatives/spokespersons on earth, you're entitled to believe what you want.

Christians and others want there to be an after-life, a heaven where they'll meet all their loved ones again. That throughout human history there hasn't been a shred of scientific evidence to point to the truth of their belief hasn't put them off. The need for deeper meaning to life and a desire to continue after life expires has created all sorts of beliefs and theories (including in rock artists, portal tomb builders, stone circle erectors, etc.). Fine and dandy, but that this existence is finite, that after it all gives out there will be no Andy Ryan, that's ok with me, despite all my energy and my desire for it to be otherwise.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index