An American viewpoint

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

An American viewpoint
Mar 29, 2013, 16:17
I received this today from a lady in the States who reminded me of exactly how fortunate we are to live in a country with so much history.

'It boggles my mind that we mere mortals of the 21st century "know" what was in the minds/plans of people thousands of years ago. When I was in England two years ago I almost got kicked out of a castle because I couldn't stop touching tables and chairs. I could feel the energy and life of the kings and qeens that possessed those items hundreds of years ago. The energy rocketed through me. We have nothing like it here in the US. All of our ancient history was made of skins and trees and has long since returned to earth dust'.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: An American viewpoint
Mar 29, 2013, 16:27
What a weirdly blinkered attitude... The mounds of the midwest date back thousands of years as do the petroglyphs in the desert! Sure they don't have as much visible history, but there is some and its pretty old.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:29
Sanctuary wrote:
I could feel the energy and life of the kings and qeens that possessed those items hundreds of years ago. The energy rocketed through me.

Whatever you're into I say - believe what you want, but I find this mildly barking.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:33
It's also a bit sad that the thrill of "old" seems to be linked to the possessions of "kings and queens". I'd be far more excited about a scraper or saddle quern that an ordinary person used than some throne. The most moved I've ever been by an object in a museum is by this in the British Museum:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/fboyd/6042396643/
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:35
thesweetcheat wrote:
It's also a bit sad that the thrill of "old" seems to be linked to the possessions of "kings and queens". I'd be far more excited about a scraper or saddle quern that an ordinary person used than some throne. The most moved I've ever been by an object in a museum is by this in the British Museum:

Nice. I had to be dragged away from the hominid skulls in the Natural History museum last time we were there. To be fair I had been flitting from one to another for over half an hour...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:37
I don't think I've ever been to see those. Must make the effort next time I there.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:38
I meant "I'm there". That wasn't an attempt to start talking like a Neanderthal.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:41
But that's the thing with life, the people who feel nothing in objects think the ones who can are barking and the ones who can think the ones that can't are barking, we are all brilliantly different, Have you ever held a neolithic stone axe? because i swear i've felt "things" myself.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:47
thesweetcheat wrote:
The most moved I've ever been by an object in a museum is by this in the British Museum:

That's just fantastic. If they left the display case open when I visited I'm not sure I'd be able to resist. But what's that horrible stand they've got it on?

I agee though about objects of desire, I'd rather have this http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/01/2013/ice-age-art-at-the-british-museum-was-crafted-by-professional-artists than any number of royal chairs.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Mar 29, 2013, 16:58
Yeah, it would be a wonderful object to hold (the chopping tool). It's near the entrance, off the main hall (at least it was last time we were there). Not too sure about the stand thing, no doubt it's the latest in "chopping tool display" technology.

Your one is pretty special too, must get to the Ice Age exhibition before long.
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index