92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: An American viewpoint
Mar 30, 2013, 13:08
handofdave wrote:
We know that European settlers did a fairly thorough job of destroying the native culture of the Americas. Megaliths of the Northeast were dismantled to provide stone for their own buildings. There was nothing in the way of archeological protections 400 years ago... the 'heathen' sites had no advocates for preservation.
Mystery Hill in New Hampshire is one of the sites that wasn't entirely hauled off for stone... I still need to go check it out sometime.

The American lady who made the earlier comment made a further one (this was on a Border Collie forum BTW but we were discussing Trethevy).

'The first thing that came to my mind was the monuments at Gettysburg. The way they become incorporated into the daily lives of people.
How many hundreds pass this daily, without thought about how it got there. I'm sure I wouldn't, especially if I was knee deep in snow or mud, hauling hay for livestock.
I have been to the monuments in Egypt. Thousands of years of weather, abuse and looting are minor damage compared to what has been done in the last 75. You can imagine 50 chubby, camera toting people, getting off their air conditioned bus, to squeeze through a passage to view burial chamber in the great pyramid. I was told our hot breath and skin oil do more damage than anything. Not many factories there, but auto exhaust is unregulated.
That was probably 20years ago. Monuments were protected by a national trust, but Egyptians relied on generosity of other countries to fund it. Government was very corrupt. they wanted the $$$, but no advice on care or maintenance. They didnt like tourists, but tourism dollar was very important. I don't know if the current government has the same problem or worse. People living in poverty can't be expected to care.
Are there published rules, for the landowner, regarding care maintenance of Trethevy and other monuments on private land'?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index