92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Neolithic Carved Stone Balls
Feb 19, 2010, 16:49
StoneGloves wrote:
But what about the artificial hollows in stone that aren't round? Are they still called cupmarks? Fresh cupmarks (round ones) on stones that have been under a barrow or cairn, undisturbed until recently, show the scratches made by the tools that made them. Looks like it was a bit of flint. The idea of them being inverted prayer wheels makes modern sense, as does magical properties being given to the powder that was eroded in the carving. Thom & Thom, in the third book, analyse the patterns mathmatically, but everyone pretends that their work doesn't exist! I showed a cupmarked portable stone to a world expert and the line of reasoning he was using to show the marks were naturally formed was the same argument I was using to prove they were artificial and human-made!

Pick marks can be incredibly clear , sometimes even on rocks that have been exposed .Any stone that is harder than the marked surface will do quartz works to an extent and leaves a nice white powder outlining the motif ,other stones are less visually pleasing ,you have to get the dust out the grooves anyway to get deeper grooves and the firt rain will get rid of the dust if the engraver hasn't already blown it away . The Thom work certainly exists but there are huge problems with it ,they used a very small dataset and there is the classic problem about measuring which applies to megaliths ,where exactly do we emasure from or to. Whatecver method is used it it shows that there there is no common measure .Since the Thom chapter there has been a huge increase in rock art recording and none of it supports thier idea .He was engineer and saw measure in everything . I came across a a typical bit of that kind of thinking the other day .When the measure doesn't quite fit despite being on a quite small scale ,change it . Robin Heath came up with the AMY not quite the MY as that didn't fit so lop off a fraction of an inch (can't say centimetres as they never deal in such continental simplicities ) and bosh (not voila ) you have the required "fit" , just change the name in this case the A stood for astronomical or possibly ancient .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index