92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2010, 18:19
Re: Neolithic Carved Stone Balls
Feb 14, 2010, 18:08
tiompan wrote:
They are very localised to Aberdeenshire with just a few strays in Fife , Angus and futher south and west .

Other areas too but yeah, they seem to mostly come from Aberdeenshire. This site shows the ones from other areas like Skara Brae etc...

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results.php?
offset=1&no_results=12&scache=3ucqwskull&searchdb=
scran&sortby=&sortorder=ASC&field=&searchterm=%2BCARVED%20%2BBALLS

Thanks for the links - will have a read up on those. The proceedings ones I was looking for but couldn't find for some reason. Slow connection maybe.

The lithographs in that book on pagan Scotland are really good too. Now the weather is nicer it will be nice to sit outside and do some stone carving again. These photos are detqailed enought to be a great help, thanks.

The idea of bolas is interesting. I wonder if you could weave rope into the grooves to make a kind of net bag to hold them securely...

They do photograph well, making good cover art. Same fascination rock art has - that feeling you should be able to make sense of them if you stare long enough. Carving a motherstane with newgrange type spirals and lines was relaxing in a zoning out kind of way. Helped me think of nothing, which is a type of meditation I've always had a problem with.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index