Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
treaclechops
treaclechops
378 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 20, 2005, 18:22
Am I right in thinking that in the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, the greater proportion of this country was swathed in forest and woodland? If so, is it not highly possible that the burial chambers and henges were situated in amongst woodland? Jane - remember Churchill Copse? Perhaps that had returned to its original state after all . .. .

When we look at these places now, they are in wide open (farming) country, but they wouldn't have been then, as the landscape we see today has taken only the last 2.000 years to create.

I liked the earlier comment about henges being built to keep something in - and yet as Rhiannon said, you wouldn't want them filled with animals and poo (dependent on the significance of animals in your life, such as cows in India, I suppose), etc if they were such important places.

Therefore, can I postulate that they were for keeping the souls of the ancestors, or other specific energies in one place - either to draw on when needed, or to keep from causing misfortune to the local population? You don't need stockades when you have psychic barriers.

treaclechops x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index