152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 20, 2005, 11:25
Hi, Rhiannon,

>I'm trying to find out about the persistence of nitrates in the soil. But not getting very far yet. They'd be easy enough to test for but unless you've got an unusual soil they'd surely all be leached out by now? But do I have a vague memory of them discussing this on the Durrington Walls tt programme?<

When I did my MSc in Marine Science, we did a whole bit about run-off, and I think that Nitrogen deposition would only be a factor in the top 15 - 25 cms of soil, and I presume back then much would be taken up by plants - especially as there were no tractors chugging around flinging it across massive fields! I'm not sure how much animal waste was around then, nor how far one would have to drill into the soil to find the historical layer you were after. I know Mike Parker-Pearson mentioned something about the Avon Valley being swept clean of archaeology by flood waters between now and then - which would obviously have an effect on the inorganic element of the soils - but I've read so much and watched a great deal, and I cannae remember the context - it might be in Britain BC by Francis Pryor......

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index