Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 19, 2005, 22:38
>It is foolish to look upon Neolithic society as a ritual obsessed spiritual paradise. The entire economy needs to be understood.<

Yes, I agree, and I must say I've been taken aback by the rather blinkered view of some contributors to this thread when they seem to imply that most (all?) circles and henges were ritual and/or ceremonial in concept. We just do not know that to be true (nor, might I add, do we know it to be false :-) but I do get a little uneasy when I hear people claim circles and henges to be totally one thing or the other.

It's simplifying it I know but Stonehenge and Callanish suggests to me places that were probably totally ritual and/or ceremonial. Avebury suggests a place of ritual, ceremonial <i>and</i> utilitarian use, while many smaller circles and henges suggest a predominately utilitarian (with perhaps an element also of the ritual/ceremonial). What I find particularly disturbing is the blanket assumption that all circles and henges were for ritual/ceremonial use without conclusive evidence to support that assumption - until that evidence is forthcoming then I would say any reasonable* alternative idea for the use of these structures should be given a fair hearing.

* By reasonable I mean anything not connected to the Crystal Entity, energy lines, the seventh dimension or doors into altered states of perception (one does, however, need to keep an open mind in these matters :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index