Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 18, 2005, 23:08
>> Does that mean that all are aligned to stages of the solar cycle?

No it doesn't. I often think people look for solar/stellar alignments too quickly. From my experience there is as much, if not more, importance in how a site relates to the landscape and its features. We need to look at less obvious things.

This is something that was brought home to me on a visit to Malin More court tomb. There the winter solstice sun does not rise in any special place, but it does perform a prety spectacular trick at midday when it rolls across the top of a mountain to the south http://www.megalithomania.com/show/image/3736

However, the lack of a solar alignment at a handful of sites doesn't mean that the sites with identifiable alignments are coincidental. When one appears exist it probably does. The 'light box' at Newgrange and the one in Loughcrew are proof of that.

The variation in tomb alignment just goes to show that there was a diversity in belief/importance. There probably is no unified theory of ancient belief and it's probably folly to search for it, but that won't stop us looking for it :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index