Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 20, 2005, 09:29
You seem to have convinced yourself that they <i>aren't</i> corrals (without sufficient evidence the argument works both ways ;-)

The idea that nitrates in the soil might indicate that some structures were used as corrals is an interesting one; the only problem there is that such structures may have been used as corrals at any time during the last x thousand years; Avebury is a classical example of that where sheep have been grazing within the circle for as long as I can remember.

Apart from excavations, perhaps the only other way to get some idea about what some of these structures were originally used for is to look at how the stones are organized. It's been said elsewhere that some stones are higher at one end than the other - does that indicate a possible windbreak function? Are there significant <i>pairs</i> of stones to suggest that they may have functioned as gateposts? Does the distance between such pairs of stones also suggest that they may have served as gateposts?

It also occurs to me that if stones are placed with their predominately <i>flat</i> sides facing inwards or outwards they are forming part of a wall or fence - to use them the other way suggests that they were probably <i>not</i> forming part of a wall or fence.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index