Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 19, 2005, 08:37
I agree. The lightbox proves that very specific solar alignment was very important. Ditto for other cleverly contrived placings. Modern analogies don't always work but try this on for size.

Take Anytown with an ancient church. It will be aligned with the altar to the east and with a west tower. There will be other churches and chapels not aligned as such, but with their entrances on the high street. They have been built by the Victorians on available land. Take all of the domestic front doors in all of the houses. Excepting those facing in a northerly direction, probably two-thirds will exactly face sunrises and sunsets on various days throughout the year. Many will face moon risesand moon sets. Yet none have been designed to do so. The alignments are real, but unintentional and certainly not ritual. The local cinema might align with a distant hill, but purely by coincidence.

What evidence do we have that makes the case that the majority of henges, tombs, long barrows, cursus, causewayed enclosure etc are deliberately aligned to sun, moon or landscape features? Again - I am not trying to prove a point. I'm just testing the accepted view.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index