Henge corrals?

152 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Re: Henge corrals?
Dec 18, 2005, 22:00
Thanks Fitz. I have read some of these, but really want to try a fresh look with naive eyes uninfluenced by others. Its all too easy to fall into patterns of thought that are fashionable or establishment. You may remember Sir Mortimer Wheeler. He was a military man and in his writings, everything just had to be defensive. Francis Pryor had a bit of a sea-change after Sea Henge and now everything just has to be ritual - quite a contrast to his earlier work. I caught the tail end of a television programme where he was arguing for a ritual purpose of a henge against a younger archaeologist who was pushing a pastoral/agricultural viewpoint. So I'm not alone.

Professional people are inclined to defend their own stand points so as not to lose professional face. I have no professional face to lose and so can afford to approach afresh and just look at the evidence. As I stated earlier, I am not making any claims at all on the position of gaps on just 12 Essex henges. I am going to map all of the East Anglian henges plus the cursus monuments, long barrows and causewayed enclosures. Then I hope to see if a pattern emerges, BUT I have no preconception and am NOT trying to prove a particular point. I just want to see where it leads me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index