The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Abbot suger .last basterd that knew

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Genereth
33 posts

Re: Abbot suger .last basterd that knew
Nov 06, 2005, 17:18
Having been brought up a Roman Catholic (abandoned it at the age of 14 so dont worry) - I had the concept of the Holy Ghost (or Holy Spirit as it should be called) drummed into me. The whole idea comes from an early Roman Church synod where they all got together & tried to agree on how to worship Christ. God is devided into three, the Father (Old man in heaven in a robe & big beard), God the son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit (a kind of firey feeling of what perhaps Buddhists might call Nirvanah) - The Holy Spirit comes down from heaven and 'fills' people. After Christ's crucifiction the deciples were gathered to gether in fear hiding. The Holy Spirit came down and filled them all, and was visible as a tongue of flame above each of their heads, restoring their courage and faith....or so they say.

Your mention of churches builg built next to celtic crosses and energy lines is interesting. But the tradition of keeping sites sacred by reuse is an old one. Pagan henges had christian churches built upon them. Place names in the Westcountry ending in ...eglos meaning 'church in the round' are indicators.
The Romans built temples on ancient sites to 'absorb' the local religion. I dont see that there is anything particularly sinister or conspiratorial about it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index