Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2012, 08:25
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 27, 2012, 07:55
keith a wrote:
"In fact the more un-pop her work gets and the fewer records she sells the more famous she gets."

Come on, Ian. That's a good sentence on the page, but it's not true. I'm sure if you mentioned her name to Joe Public most of them would say isn't she that funny little pixie girl who sang that song that went "shhhh".

You mightn't like/get her, but I for one think the world would be a poorer place without her. Regardless of whether she troubles the charts or not.

Exactly! The charts are irrelevent. Sales are irrelevant. She has transcended all that. In fact the records she makes guarantee that fewer and fewer people will hear them.

I didn't say "the fewer records she sells the more popular she gets". I said "more famous". She is famous for being famous. Joe Public have no idea what she sounds like(other than the the shortlived use of the "It's Oh So Quiet" thing as a football chant), and could care less, but more and more people can pick her out in a line up of quirky celbs that have come out of Art and Fashion. She would be a big number on Pointless in a picture round. Like say Grace Jones* or Dali or Orson Wells towards the end of his life (though he had huge mitigating circumstances).

*I like some of Grace Jones' records too (the Sly and Robbie ones I like a lot) but the celebrity is the main product not the music or the acting or the modelling.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index