Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2012, 09:23
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 27, 2012, 07:45
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
I kind of get where you are coming from, Ian - the culture of celebrity and the increasing commodifying of art in the 21st century Capitalist world. (how do we remedy the situation?) I just didn't quite understand why Bjork sparked it off. And as Keith said, your comment about Bjork becoming more popular the more obscure she became doesn't particularly ring true.

Nothing unethical about selling art for as much as the artist wants to be paid for it. I want the things I love to be more popular not more obscure. Which is why I bang on for para after para about the stuff I stumble over that I think that is good.

I think this is the key misunderstanding here.

What I said was

"She is now more famous than ever for being famous. In fact the more un-pop her work gets and the fewer records she sells the more famous she gets"

There is a huge difference between being famous and being popular for what you produce. I think her music is irrelevant. It's now a side product of a wider celebrity. Like a lot of what Damien Hirst attaches his name to. In the end what I find problematic is not art being commodified but the celebrity of the artist becomming the main product. To paraphrase Rick Roderick, the reason she is a prime example of the post-modern and hyperreal is that she is now popular for being famous, an awful lot of people like the idea of liking her but clearly feel no need to buy her music. Her music isn't really popular at all but her popularity is.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index