Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2012, 10:37
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 26, 2012, 08:40
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Who is her partner? Wasn't she involved with Lars Von Trier? Was your splutter an insulted splutter, or just an incredulous, how do you manage to be so stupid, you're so wide of the mark kind of splutter?!!! Do you have an email address? If so you can contact me through my red name if you like (as i note your name isn't similarly coloured). Don't know much about Twitter or direct messaging.

The intellectual palette comment was perhaps a rather crude allusion to the fact that you maybe have a more high brow aesthetic going on than my good self!

Sam

Totally (happily) amused splutter that anyone would use the word intellectual in relation to my musical taste. I like all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons but I when it comes to music the response is driven by heart and gut not head.

Trying to like something you don't like because a self-styled intellectual thinks it is "important" seems to be a road to listening hell. You need to give anything unfamilar a decent chance (hence my Bjork and Cerys marathon) but not at the expense of all pleasure. Some things take a while to sink in but not liking something is not a fault of the listener.

By the same token listeners shouldn't reject something in advance because our idea of what the music or musician is about doesn't fit our self image - that's the root of all musical snobbery. critic not liking something because he or she thinks that liking that music punctures his or her cool and isn't ironic/camp enough to be a guilty pleasure is another thing all together.

Also artists are on their own road to hell if they make a record a particular way because they think it will sell more or because it is more likely to secure critical approval or posterity. No one could accuse Bjork of playing to the crowd but there may be a bit of playing to the Art media.

Anyway .... Bjork's partner is an artist called Matthew Barney. I think they are still together. I don't get his work at all. I would be more impressed by her being with Matthew Barnaby!
I will e mail you re Luce.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index