Miles Davis - E.S.P.

Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro

Miles Davis - Miles in the Sky

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

Alien Comunity - I + II

Brian Eno - Textures

Brian Eno - Lightness: Music for the Marble Palace

Brian Eno - Kite Stories

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea (bonus disc)

Sam Cooke - The Rhythm and the Blues

The Residents - Night of the Hunters

Cat Stevens - Matthew & Son

Cat Stevens - Catch Bull at Four

Frank Stokes - Creator of the Memphis Blues

Vidna Obmana - Memories Compiled¹ (Monument Of Empty Colours / Gathering In Frozen Beauty)

The Animals - A's & B's & EP's

Steve Roach - Dynamic Stillness
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 25, 2012, 04:09
national head band: albert 1
classic, classic, great harmonies, soulful lead singing, tight playing

cold chisel: East and Breakfast at sweethearts
still torn on these: are there enough hooks, the guitar playing can be great but the production can sometimes steal the fire

cochise: s/t;so far; swallow tales
similiar organic gtr; bass, drms make up as national head band with bj coles on steel guitar, some rustic and hard rocking bends and curves

mountain: climbing; flowers of evil; mountian
some good and bad, maybe blame the cd, i don't know if they hold up as well as James Gang, Grand Funk or Cooper, they seemed to have run out of ideas sooner
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 07:21
Lucifugum - On the Sortilage of Christianity
Mayhem - Ordo ad Chao
Can - The Lost Tapes
The Kinks - Face to Face
The Who - A Quick One (first time hearing this one, it's okay, not great)
Captain Beyond - s/t (better than all Zep and Purp combined, fact)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 12:49
Nov 25, 2012, 08:39
Christos Fanaras - Impermanence
Hami and I played a really nice improv gig in Winchester this week with Seb of this parish and a free improv guitar player called Mark Lamb. I hope there will be a Soundcloud stream of that set available at some point soon but the highlight for me was one of the other acts who performed this album in its entirety. On this evidence Christos Fanaras is a one man mid 70s Tangerine Dream but with a more detectable, but not especially overt or literal, classical influence. I can hear Popol Vuh, Arvo Part and the music of an older church in here. And the fuzz bass section from Tubular Bells! I have a lot of Klaus Schulze records and such like and I really cannot remember (m)any of those having such an immediate impact on me or being so instantly memorable. Every time I listen to it the arrangement seems to have a finely calibrated internal logic to it. Compositional electronic music rather than purely atmospheric. A proper record with a narrative arch, you wouldn't hear it in a lift. Or a cave.

Bjork - Vespertine, Medulla, Volta
Had another go at getting over my Bjork blind spot. To no avail. The whole thing left me feeling more than a bit pissed off.

The best way I can think to put it is that Bjork's music reminds me of that place on the coast of Portugal where you can get a certificate saying you have been to the most westerly point in Europe. A non event unless you actually fall in the water. So in the end you are left feeling "Yes .... and .... so?" before getting back on the coach in search of something resembling a real experience rather than just a consumer of a product that says you have stood on the edge.

I was interested to read in 'Listen To This' (which dedicates a chapter to her) that she dislikes minimalism. That certainly makes sense because her music is like a very bright, very talkative teenager endlessly engaged in letting you know how bright and engaged they are. Alex Ross loves the bones of her but it is worth noting that he barely listened to any pop music before the age of 20 so what he is looking for in rock and pop isn't rooted in the experience of someone who fell in love with Blockbuster or Telegram Sam at the age of 11. He is presumably looking for something with the same kind of complexity that he would have found in European Classical music. His chapters on Bjork and Radiohead certainly suggest as much in that he endlessly talks up the parts of these artists' lives that touch on the Classical realm both as consumers of music and composers. Don't think he would get the unalloyed pleasures of a Robyn record or Mott's 'Rock n Roll Queen' or Urian Heep 'Live' ....

Coming back to Bjork I am not sure any of her music will stay the course except as an example of Art World hyperreality invading mainstream pop (mainstream in terms of audience size). Bjork's music represents a short-term victory of style, ironic mannerism and commerce over content, a series of empty gestures filling a space where the music should be. The polar opposite of records like '50 Words of Snow' or 'The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver....' in that it is not saying much more than "I Am A Modern Art Personality Making Modern Art Music".

Just because the Tate Modern is one of our most popular tourist attractions doesn't mean the contemporary art within is always actually saying anything more than "You Are Now Standing On The Cutting Edge". Perhaps she should make one copy of each album, sell it for $5m and have it played in galleries rather than be selling half a milllion copies for $10 each.

Cerys Matthews - Tir, Explorer and Don't Look Down
Had the opposite experience in having a listen to three recentish Cerys Matthews albums. Along with the new Fiona Apple record this is the surprise singer songwriter discovery for me of the last few months. The music is wildly eclectic, the eclecticism serves the songs and the songs are really good. Can't ask more than that.

Wales Welcomes Womex
and am still playing this fantastic Songlines compilation. Has become a bit of a tube journey classic. Not sure why some music sounds so much better underground.

Richter & Borodin Quartet - Schubert: Piano Quintet 'The Trout'
Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix - New World's Fair
Queen -s/t
10cc - Deceptive Bends
Von Karajan BPO - Schubert: Unfinished Symphony
Morton Feldman: For Samuel Beckett
John Luther Adams - The Light That Fills the World
Anne-Sophie Mutter LPO - Mozart: Sinfonia concertante for violin, viola & orchestra in E flat major, K. 364
danny_9317
danny_9317
37 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 09:57
Hi

Caravan- In the land of grey and pink
Camel- moonmadness
dexy's midnight runners- don't stand me down & searching for the young soul rebels
popol vuh- nosferatu
brian eno-thursday afternoon (brilliant) & music for airports & on land
chopin- piano cocerto no. 1
peter gabriel- s/t 1
harold budd- abandoned cities
rautavaara- cantus arcticus (picked this up after robot emperor's description in last week's thread and it didn't disappoint so many thanks for that) & symphony no.3
cocteau twins- heaven or las vegas

have a good week
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 10:17
Tangerine Dream 'Atem' - stunning new vinyl reissue on Reactive
Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks' Deluxe Edition (disc 2 with the demo versions - fab!)
Miles Davis 'E.S.P.'
Mahler 3 (Boult's pioneering 1947 BBC SO account with Kathleen Ferrier)
Alan Rawsthorne: Symphonic Studies, Symphonies 1-3 and Piano Concertos 1&2 (Lyrita reissues)
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 10:30
Mercury Rev - Boces

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up

Füxa - Very Well Organized

Bert Jansch - Bert Jansch
Bert Jansch - It Don't Bother Me

of Arrowe Hill - Suddenly, At Home & Other Rumours Of Misadventure

Scott Walker - The Moviegoer
Scott Walker - Any Day Now

Sunn O))) - Black One

Bee Gees - Horizontal

The Human League - Credo

The Apples In Stereo - Science Faire

Cardiacs - On Land And In The Sea
Cardiacs - Heaven Born And Ever Bright

Fuchsia - 4 Tracks EP
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 12:38
Albums

Oren Ambarchi - Sagittarian Domain
Brian Eno - Lux
Eternal Tapestry - A World Out of Time
Prince Rama - Top 10 Hits of the End of the World
Prince Rama - Shadow Temple
Prince Rama - Trust Now
Prince Rama - Utopia = No Person
Mugstar - Axis
Clinic - Free Reign
Golden Void - Golden Void
Oneida - A List of the Burning Mountains
Public Service Broadcasting - Everest EP
VA - Man Chest Hair (Finders Keepers)
Mediaeval Baebes - The Huntress
Aerosmith - Rocks
Gemini - Mercury EP
How To Destroy Angels - An Omen
Kate Nash - Death Proof EP
Suicide - Suicide
The Koolaid Electric Company - Feel our Noise and Adore Us EP
The Magnificent Brotherhood - Dope Idiots
Wo Fat - The Black Code
Farout - Nihonjin
Bo Ningen - Line the Wall

Tracks

Wah! Heat - Seven Minutes to Midnight
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 13:38
Ian, I read STOL week on week hoping to find other's heads up for music that I am left in no doubt that I will find indispensible. This happens rarely, but your comments about Fanaras are a case in point. I haven't heard a note, but I am prepared to purchase and know that I will not be disappointed. Thank you. As for Bjork, well, as far as I'm concerned that's her described in a four paragraph nutshell. I don't know where her distinct music comes from, but it is not the heart.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 25, 2012, 14:25
Bjork's great... giz us a copy of that Francine Luce album would you? Seriously, if you could see your way to giving me a copy, i would be ever so grateful. I would even try and reciprocate, though i might be hard pressed to find things to match your intellectual palette...even if you do like Kiss (which i don't).

Now of course you are perfectly within your statutory rights to dismiss Bjork. And the albums you chose to listen should have given you ample opportunity to get into her, if you will excuse my unfortunate turn of phrase. I respond to her music on a more emotional level perhaps. Analysis not needed
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index