94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 25, 2012, 14:57
Siena Root A New Day Dawning
I think this is their first lp, hadn't realised til I went to check the lp title. Very much a recapturing of an imaginary time in the early 70s. Somewhen around 72, heavyish rock with vocals reminiscent of bands like Traffic though I'm not sure to what extent that means an emulation of individual singers.
Been meaning to pick up material by these for a few years and not got around to it. But this appeared for €2 in a local recordshop that has a sale section that tends to reward a peruse.

Rolling Stones Sticky FIngers
been a while since I listened to the lp but in this remaster it sounds pretty deeply immediate. So as per usual another lp i shouldn't have neglected I love the long instrumental section of Can't You Hear Me Knocking but was wondering who would be playing slide, I think I should be familiar enough with the band to now who but don't. Bitch has a great central riff and the lp throughout remains pretty high standard. I guess it is a recognised classic for a reason?

"" "" Goat's Head Soup
the lp after Exile and one I wasn't familiar with until this week. seems to be a lot better than I feared, but it's still Mick Taylor era Stones so it's likely to be. I'm not framiliar with much of their material post-Exile still. Not sure what I'm missing. Is it much?

Mebusas Blood Brothers
some level of dichotomy between the fuzz monster music, at least in quite a few places, and the club singing vocals. influence presumably does mean different things in different contexts but I'm just wondering exactly who the singer's major influence is, seems almost like he's trying to be too European or something, though that could be an artificial perspective.
Anyway when this cooks this cooks, can get deeply funky. Not the biggest fan of their attempt at reggae though.

Roberta Flack First Take
the great singer's first acoustic-jazz soaked lp complete with Leonard Cohen cover with a breakbeat and Ewan Macoll's First Time Ever I saw Your Face in quite breathtaking version.
This has been one of my favourite lps since I first heard it. Her Quiet Fire is also pretty fantastic.

Electric Wizard Tampere Finland 23/11/12
live set from a couple of days ago that somebody managed to up almost immediately. The band has a new rhythm section that sound like they've fully integrated here. not being the greatest connoisseur of the band I don't think I'd immediately recognise the differences between various EW rhythm sections. But this is good, fluid and heavy anyway. band is sounding 'kin great anyway.
Heard that there was likely to be a tour in the new year, that's something to look forward to. I've still only seen them a couple of times live but those were fantastic.

Velvet Underground various, mainly 69s.
I think largely because I've been reading the Richie Unterberger book n them White Light/White Heat I grabbed a lot of the live sets I had lost earlier this year when one of my hard-drives crashed. On top of that a few of the missing ones have just been upped, a collection of the Boston Tea Party sets over on Trader's Den which is very good.

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
ok mid 70s glossy version of the band. I think I prefer them earlier, up to around '72 mainly. But Shine ON You Crazy Diamond is a great track anyway.

Grateful Dead various from archive.org. Great soundtrack for course I'm doing at the moment. Also various other bands from the site, great music resource that is.

various other stuff taht I can't think of offhand.
Loads of great stuff coming through the walkman, lots of rockabilly, psych, prog, folk, jazz & George Jones. Still turning up a lot of stuff that I haven't heard on it before. Notably this week Peanuts Wilson's Cast Iron Arm a great rockabilly number that I figure people must have covered heavily.

watching
THe Sapphires
I was in a pretty lousy mood on Wednesday night so went to see this instead of waiting around to see the Master which started an hour later. I guess it was quite enjoyable, certainly has some great singing in. But the chemistry between the romantic leads seemed to be lacking.

Argo
Ben Affleck vehicle which I hadn't realised he also directed until the credits. Think it did have me thinking it might be Ron Howard or something but taht might also have been cos one of the embassy staff looked a bit like him with a dark wig on, though I think he'd be way too young. Anyway I found it quite enjoyable, think Affleck did a good job in acting & directing as did the rest of the cast.

reading
largely TimeMazine the Greek psychedelic fanzine. Pretty great, I'd check it out if you get the chance to and haven't already. New edition just about to happen too.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index