94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2012, 16:07
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 25, 2012, 15:07
Hail!

Carlton Melton - Live at Roadburn 2011. Never owned or heard anything by this band before though noted they've been getting lots of nods on here of late. Thanks to Hunter T for alerting us to this live, download freebie cos I like it very much indeed and will def be sniffing out more by this band. Great stuff!

Christos Fanaras - Impermanence. IanB has written an excellent and, to my mind accurate, review of this upstairs so I don't have much to add to it beyond that that it really is a fine 45 mins of excellent ambient electronica that manages to recall the colossi of the past with its feet in the present. There does seem to be a classical influence in there - not in a Rick Wakeman way - but rather in the details and mixtures of subtle melody with soundscapery. Too often this stuff can sound like someone's left a sequencer on "quite pleasant brain-lick" whilst they go and sit by the fire with a sherry for half an hour. This is definitely composed and arranged but it doesn't feel rigid. It's by no means a 'polite' ambient album but engrossing and thoughtful and very much recommended to anyone with the remotest interest in this kinda thing. I only disagree with Ian in that I think it would sound mega in a cave. But then I think lots of things would!

Ramesses - We Will Lead You to Glorious Times
Old Man Gloom - No
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Nona Hendryx - Mutatis Mutandis. Def an album of the year for me!
White Hills - Frying on this Rock
Weird Owl - Build Your Beast A Fire
Speed Caravan - Kalashnik Love
Goat Snake - Trampled Underhoof
Stealing Sheep - Into The Diamond Sky. Delightful!
BT - Escm
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow. Need to get this on CD. Vinyl's a bit battered now!
Jannick Topp - Soleil D'Ork. Great and Mad!
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier. Pretty much a full-on prog-metal band these days.
Mediaevel Baebes - The Huntress
Invasion - The Master Alchemist. Genius. Are they defunct? Hope not!
Get The Blessing - OC/DC.

Have a nice week x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index