94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2012, 04:45
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 27, 2012, 04:27
I do wonder if she's pursued "look at me, listen to me, I'm different, quirky and interesting" so relentlessly to the point of her output becoming its antithesis, predicatable, cliched, incapable of ever truly expressing emotion without a 'catch', or as you say, an ironic twist. Fair enough, she's got a fanbase, each to their own, but I don't think she's likely to produce something now that's going to make me join it...I like surprises, though. But, right now, what I've heard and seen doesn't move me. Quirky can equate to arid or the musical equivalent of a lopsided smile. Like I said at the start of this discussion, I don't think it's from the heart..or if it is, it's not an open one... the exuberance to me seems too mannered and calculated, the twist's bound to come; it's not raw to me, however shouty. I'm not engaged, more repelled. No, I'm not taking a swipe at anyone who likes her stuff, no need to froth. I appreciate she's gifted, but it's not for me. Unmoved. If others are, fine...but to me she is Kate Bush's counterpoint. I know who I prefer.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index