94 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2012, 20:15
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2012 CE
Nov 26, 2012, 19:11
I think there's a lot of contextualising of a gut reaction going on here, but the fact that one of the top comments in the YouTube video of Crystalline* reads "REAL ART!!!!!" makes me sort of understand where Ian's coming from.

If her music transports her fans to a different place than when they threw on the record, I don't think she should swan off just yet.. I don't think she's quite turned into aural wallpaper yet, which is more than can be said for most acts who've been going as long as her (remember she was a child star doing cute covers of Fool on the Hill). Hooky, funky, abstruse...y; not all music has to serve the same purpose.

I guess a lot of art scenes do crucially rely on every member keeping the periphery afloat via a healthy array of name-checking and communal gigging. That doesn't mean Bjork or Scott Walker don't have a right to live in their own little bubbles if they want to. I'm always wary of people telling you not to think about things, but it is all ultimately just sound you like and sound you don't. If they afford you a reaction which stirs or moves you, they've done their job. If they haven't, you're probably just not their audience.

*Quite a nice song, by the way. Dig the little bit of Drum & Bass at the end.

EDIT: I should clarify, I do tend to prefer my Art Pop subversions on the sillier side. There is something a tad middle-brow about what Bjork's been doing since Vespertine. I like the plucky electronic marimba sounds on a lot of her recent records, though. Makes you feel like you're inside of an ice sculpture. Nothing there for me to hate.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index