Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Jul 05, 2013, 13:10
Totally looked thru this great thread. Some wonderful choices up there.

For me, I think it'll be

Time machines - Time machines
Ambient to the extreme, rather cheesily the four tracks have 'drug' names, but as far as drone outs go, this is the beans.

The flip side of which would be...

Coil - Constant shallowness leads to evil
Amazing layers of distorted resonance and dissonant frequencies, something akin to all the back ground noise around you sandwiched together and pumped out all at the same time. I've always been drawn to 'sounds' as much as music and melody. With synths, the more twisted the better TBH.

Nurse With Wound - Spiral Insana
Heard/bought this when I was about 18, and it changed my opinion of what could be classed as music. Love the returned to 'musical' themes that drift/cut in and out on this record. Probably heard the Nocturnal Emmisions on Peel at the same time, which became another fav' band of my youth.

In my mid 20's got into the whole Earache records thang, that grindcore/industrial thing really did it for me then. Particularly enjoyed stuff by Carcass and Electro Hippies, stuff that I can barely listen to now.

Swans - Cop was pretty radical when I first heard it. Don't think i'd heard such an intense/depressing record at the time, though with a very low slung funk to some of the tracks. About the same time i discovered Einsturzende Neubauten. Think I picked up Kollaps and Strategies 1 and was hooked from there. Of course, NWW and Neubauten led onto Faust, who I'd not heard of except in interviews with E.N.

Early Feotus records still get fairly regular spins. Strange, almost comedic mix of show tunes, surf music and industrial clatter with some great catchy lyrics. Sure it was massively informed by The Residents et al, but J G Thirwell seemed to make it a sound of his own.

Could go on all day but that'll have to do for now.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index