Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2013, 10:48
Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Jul 02, 2013, 10:22
1) French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson - Hai Sai Ochi San. When I first heard this it blew my previous pigeonhole of Thompson as 'serious' clean away. Him singing a bawdy Japanese song in the vernacular. A piece of supreme silliness.... 2) Another one would be There Is A Man by Manfred Mann. It's an b- side to one of his early hits - I don't know which - about a bloke being locked up in a mental institution and being physically abused. Very claustrophobic and downright freaky sound effects and lyrics. People would have played the a side, the usual fare, flipped it over and gone "wtf?" Only heard it the once round a mates, but it stuck.. not sure I 'enjoyed' it, on second thoughts, but 'weird' - you bet.... 3) Henry Hall - Teddy Bears Picnic. My introduction to jazz as a two year old. Well, it was weird back then. My Dad had a crackly '78 .... 4) Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson. I used to listen to the English service of Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes late at night as a kid, and, after that closed down, the French. One night they played this - I expect on release, which dates me. That lovely feedback, the lyrics I didn't understand, but sensed were 'wrong'...... 5) An album by Manitas da Plata - I think the first - recorded live in a cave, that a girlfriend used to play on my amourous visits. The whoops and rhythmic clapping of Manitas' audience. Rodrigo y Gabriella are very good, but this was something else..... 6) Just twiddling the dial of my Dad's big old short wave radio at night as a kid in out front room. Open fire blazing, light out. Listening to arabic orchestras and women ululating. Listen to Czukay's Persian Love and you'll get the gist. 'Other', and lovely .........may add to this, expect there's loads more
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index