Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gogs
40 posts

Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Dec 24, 2011, 11:07
Jandek, I suppose! I know he's a lot bigger & accepted nowadays that he plays live, & before that the whole mystery of his thang probably made him more well-known than he could've been, but I do honestly think he had some great, unique stuff. I don't listen to him very often but I got The Beginning and The Place out recently & was equal parts terrified, comforted, thrilled & absolutely pishin myself laughing as usual when it comes to Jandek.
He definately has some complete tripe (most of his 1999-onwards albums imo) but at his best I think he's a genuinely great songwriter with a real gift for improvising lyrics & songs. His more "poetic" pre-written stuff has some real peaks too.
Anyway, to answer the question, his weirdest one that I enjoy is probably The Electric End, but only really cos it's totally hilarious! Completely tuneless guitar acompanied by utterly random drumming & wordless vocals, FOR AGES. If you listen to one speaker only you can hear someone (the guitarist?) shout "what the hell are you doing? You're just yelling into the microphone, what's the matter with ya?", to which Jandek replies, dead seriously, "...I can't... woooOOAAAUUuugh... YAGGAYAGGAYAGGA!" etc etc for about 16 further minutes. It's not very often I get all the way through but the first 4 or 5 minutes are gold.
A more serious one would be Down In A Mirror, The Highway or Your Condition or somethin like that.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index