Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Jul 02, 2013, 20:28
It would have to be Japanese. I'll go with Juke/19's entire ouevre. They veer from early Boredoms and Godz-like yelpings to long, beautiful protracted drones, to nightmare noise loops. I couldn't possibly say why, but it just hypnotises me like nothing else. They'll be too raw and weird for most people's blood but they really get mine flowing.

I usually find as long as the artist isn't being too contrived and self-conscious about their mad noise, something in my music receptors will pick up on their enthusiasm and resonate to the energy behind it. If it's an acutely aware attempt at being weird, well...I still may enjoy it, but the grating things will probably grate just that little bit more.

I seem to have gone a bit full circle lately, after floating past an early, intense EVERYTHING I LISTEN TO MUST BE AN ELECTROACOUSTIC RELIC THAT WOULD MAKE THE ACTS ON THE NWW-LIST RUN HOME CRYING stage to the ability to even appreciate chart pop back to a need for esoterica and visceral stuff after being around too many people whose tastes veer towards music that you can do nothing but nod absently to. They're lovely people, but I generally need something I can listen to actively; something that challenges my way of thinking, or sends electric currents up and down my arteries.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index