Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2011, 17:31
Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Dec 23, 2011, 17:14
On the scale of normal -> far out, most of these choices aren't very weird at all imo, at least until you get to machineryelf's Alvin Lucier, gogmagog's Penderecki and that digital hardcore abomination mentioned more recently.

I find it hard to chose between the likes of Derek Bailey, Harry Partch, Iannis Xenakis, Giacinto Scelsi, Tibetan Ritual Music of the Nyingmapa, Drukpa and Cho Gu, Henry Kaiser, AMM, ICP, MEV, Gruppo Nuova Consonanza, Hans Reichel, Mnemonists, Penderecki, Ligeti, Francois Bayle, Pierre Henry, Bernard Parmegianni, Francois Bernard Mache, Luis De Pablo, Ivo Malec, Luc Ferrari, Luigi Nono, Olivier Messiaen, Conlon Nancarrow, Pierre Scaeffer, John Cage, Throbbing Gristle etc., all of whom I bought (vinyl) LPs (and even some CDs!) of and enjoy very much.

I have seen some weird live performances by The Residents, Locus Solus, Henry Kaiser, Fred Frith, Matthew Shipp, Crash Worship, The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Derek Bailey and concerts by musicians performing the music of Harry Partch, Iannis Xenakis, Giacinto Scelsi and Messiaen, but the oddest was probably The Residents gig. On another day I might say it was the Harry Partch or one of the Scelsi gigs.

It's not about "declaring I like weird stuff or my taste's just so fucked up, man" at all for me. I had formative experiences as a young'un in late-60s Japan that opened my mind to all kinds of sounds with genuine enjoyment. I like pop, rock, blues, jazz, dub/reggae, kosmische, psych, funk, folk, international, classical.... most of it isn't very weird to me, but seems to freak the fuck out of most people I meet who aren't music geeks like everyone here!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index