158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 16, 2010, 10:05
nigelswift wrote:
I've watched them in the act of creating new tracks (and causing a bit of erosion damage) on Silbury. It's a good place to observe what their motivations are as there are few variations in the land surface so what they do can't be attributed to the terrain. It seems to be a mixture of initial randomness, short cutting and follow-my-leader behaviour rather like.....umm sheep.

Sheep just forage and wander about in what appears to be in an aimless way seeking out food. In my sheepdog training I have learnt to 'read' sheep and there is always a leader who will suddenly walk off in another direction to be immediately followed by the others. Once settled another 'leader' will then decide to wander off in another direction so they will then follow her/him. But that's just during common grazing because when as a group they decide to go for water or for the feed that the farmer is due to lay down for them as back-up, they will often go right out of their way to firstly reach the well trodden path that takes them to that food or water rather than go directly there over fresh terrain even though it is flat and totally unthreatening (to us)! Sheep are not as stupid as some people would make out so I suspect in their minds there is a perfectly good and logical reason for doing just that.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index