158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 13, 2010, 09:46
nigelswift wrote:
1. That absence of proof shouldn't be taken as proof of absence - which is well worth discussing, and

2. That the Truth is being deliberately ignored or supressed by science - which from my point of view is simply not believable (OK, sometimes, drug companies, oil companies etc) given that there are millions of scientists but none of them breaks rank and admits they're part of a vast centuries old international conspiracy. It's a bit like saying men never went to the moon. If they hadn't, it would have leaked out.

So it might be more interesting from my point of view if we could stick with number 1

I think what science isn't able to do due to the absence of a scientific test is evaluate whether a person is likely to be imagining something or not if they appear and act totally 'normal'. What I'm trying to say is that you can know a close friend for a considerable amount of years and get absolutely no indication from them (and they from themselves) that they have an ability above and beyond what is accepted by science until it actually happens to them. When it does either side forms an opinion. The friend, knowing the person well and realising that they are a sane and well-balanced person I feel is much more likely to accept what they are saying is true and give support, whereas the scientist who doesn't know the person is much more sceptical and unlikely to believe them without the support of a proven test. I totally understand both sides and the difficulties it provides both sides with.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index