The Sea Cat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:
Experience proves nothing.

Absolutely right Jane IMO.
Experience may "prove" something to the experiencer but that doesn't prove it to anyone else. That's why we invented scientific method.

Beautifully put, Mr Swift.

Let's hope that one day it may also attempt to get brave and adventurous enough again to investigate beyond it's current circular reasoning which supports a comfortable belief system.

I'm with you on this SC as it would be a big breakthrough if the experiences you feel (and see?) could be proven beyond doubt. I've belonged to a couple of groups in the past that studied the paranormal amongst other things (if that is indeed what we are talking about here) and met people who made the most amazing claims...and never believed a word of them...until the most remarkable thing happened one evening when a new member unknown to any of us arrived on the scene. I've never dismissed anything out of hand since and that is why I am totally open about such things without getting personally involved, because I simply don't understand any of it. And no, I won't say what it is that happened as it would be pointless!

Exactly. Thanks.

:-)

Perhaps the problem isn't scientific method or scientists but simply the inability so far of scientific recording and verifiable observation methods to perceive and record paranormal phenomenon. Absence of proof is not always proof of absence after all.

The question becomes though at which point do you accept that absence of proof is sufficient to show proof of absence? Is the current lack of verifiable proof after so many years sufficient?

To someone who has never experienced the paranormal, like me, then it certainly points to proof of absence. To someone who has experienced the paranormal, it certainly points to absence of proof and I imagine a great frustration at people like me.

You've raised excellent points and I agree. I don't get frustrated at people like you at all, it's genuinely refreshing to come across such a logical and reasonable attitude rather than dogmatic dismissiveness. Your first prargraph especially, encapsulates the problem perfectly.

:-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index